Old 10-19-20, 11:45 AM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been very happy with Spinergy wheels. I've had a few different models on both tandem and single bikes and am currently running their full carbon clinchers on both my road tandem and primary single bike. I have the FCC 3.2 on the tandem with 700x28 Continental Grand Prix 4 season tires and the FCC 4.7 on the single bike with 700x28 Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tires. The 4.7s may be a bit stiffer and faster due to the deeper rims, and the 3.2s are a little lighter and still plenty stiff for our ~320 lb team. We rode the perimeter of the Big Island back in February and never felt the tandem's wheels weren't more than adequate for the road conditions we found. At your team weight you might even consider using 700x25 tires which would be lighter and more aero at the expense of some comfort and durability. If you don't want to go carbon they make the same wheel with a 32mm deep aluminum rim, trading slightly higher weight for lower cost. The hubs are super easy to maintain, the spokes really do damp vibration from small imperfections in the road, and they are easy to repair should you break a spoke if you carry a spare spoke and the two small tools (provided with the wheels) that are needed to remove and reinstall. I always carry the tools and a spoke on the tandems, but the only spoke issue I ever had was when one broke at the rim end when I was trying to true a wheel at home. That was on an older set of TX-2 wheels with aluminum rims and round spokes. My FCC 3.2's are at 7,500 miles and have never needed to be trued.
Likes For Alan_F: