Old 05-16-22, 11:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Do you have the reach and stack numbers for your frame?

Originally Posted by the sci guy
The R-series switched from 1" threaded to threadless in 2000.
OK. My preference is for a threadless steerer and headset, so I may have to keep looking.

If I had to guess it's a 1999 that's been repainted and had modern decals added.
That was my assumption as well given that the paint looks pretty good for a bike old enough to have a quill stem. I suppose a decent automotive body shop can do a good job painting an aluminum bike frame?

The shape of the fork is mostly what I'm going on for a 1999 - it's a little more bladed and flares ever so slightly behind the headtube/headset than the 1998 models. I don't see an R1000 in the 1997 catalog, and in 1996 was the last year they had those ugly extended rear dropouts. The 1997 R900 maybe has a similar fork, but the only other way to see is if this person kept the original 8-speed, because the 1999 is a 9-speed.
FYI, in 1999 the Slice carbon fork was used all the way down the line to the R500, so without the original paint scheme, we're just taking this guy at his word.
Yes, no way to ascertain without the original paint scheme and R1000 decal. The bike does not have a FD, so it is certainly possible that the current drivetrain is not original.