Old 06-14-22, 07:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
The two 1990 Cannondales, this MTB and the Crit bike are the only bikes I will always keep as long as I have my wits about me even it it gets to the point that they are just wall art. It is pretty cool that they are both still a great ride.
I have given some bikes and an expensive frame to charity. My defective LHT frame went to recycling.

But, I can't imagine parting with some of my bikes, plan to keep them for life. That said, 20 years from now, I might feel different.

I mentioned my Bridgestone. It was stored outside for over a decade. I then bought it for $5 USD. I had to put about $50 into it to make it rideable. I did a thorough job of applying frame saver to the frame before re-assembly. It does not offer any memories, but it is nice to have a bike that I do not have to worry about locking up somewhere. And if it was stolen, while I would be upset, it is not that great of a loss.

I am planning logistics for my backpacking trip this summer, I plan to drive my vehicle to an end point, then ride my Bridgestone 30 miles to the starting point and lock it up at a campground, come back six or seven days later to retrieve it. I would not trust my other bikes for a week in a bike rack. Photo is 10 years old right after I fixed it up after buying it, I stored it outside for nine more years after this photo, so it is even rustier now then it was then.