Thread: GPS Watches
View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 07:56 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Okay, so I am sorting out the myriad features of the Instinct 2 Solar, Garmin Connect, and the various other services that I want to use it with. It was really confusing to start, but is starting to make sense.

One of the biggest issues is that I'd like to keep all my workouts on one service I used to use mapmyride/run to handle all my rides, walks, and runs, but it seems like they are no longer the great service they were with the free version. So If paying, Strava makes more sense since it is what everyone seems to use these days. That said, it occurs to me that I really don't care that much about all the Strava features (or the fact that if it isn't on strava it didn't happen) and might be pretty happy with mostly using Garmin Connect. I also use a Concept 2 Erg for rowing and want to use their community and app's features.

I think I might be happy just keeping everything on garmin connect with the erg workouts on both the concept 2 app and garmin connect. If the syncing is painless enough keeping ride data (and maybe rowing data too) on the free version of strava as well might be in the plan.

I set up syncing from Garmin Connect to Strava after today's workout and it didn't sync that workout (the sync showwed "success", but "nothing to sync"). I am assuming that is because it only does new workouts.

I am guessing it will be the same with getting my long history mapmyride/run and concept 2 stuff into Garmin Connect. Anyone done a transfer of a large amount of past data into Garmin Connect from either of those apps? How painful was it?

Anyone have hints of how to proceed before I dig too deep into this?

All this is befere even considering dealing with any of the features that really I'd want or need on tour.

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-16-22 at 08:00 AM.