Old 12-04-22, 04:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,073 Times in 1,087 Posts
Since starting on Strava I have 35k miles, with about 15k of those on a recumbent, which includes some very long rides. Pre Strava the mix was probably more heavily recumbent.

Now the recumbent is hanging while I work through fit and comfort issues on an upright. I managed to finish a 1200k brevet upright on a Sella Anatomica, but it was brutal. A sequence of saddle tests led me to a Terry Fly, which was decent up to 400k, rough at 600k, and contributed to a DNF 700k into a 1500k. Now I'm back to the SA, with the fit tweaked. Nose slightly up, saddle moved forward to put my sit bones further back. I've added aero bars to give me alternate hand positions (hand numbness being another challenge to tackle on the upright), and the modified fitted SA has been decent up to and including a 1000k. "Decent" being a high mark at that distance.

IMO the are a ton of saddles that will be fine for 40 miles, if adjusted to prevent rocking or sliding. As the miles go up, the need for something that aligns with your particular anatomy becomes more important.

The drama associated with bike format is unnecessary and unfortunate. When i occasionally get the bent out, it's like holy crap this thing is luxurious, fast on the flats, and downright scary fast descending. Climbing is hard frickin work. The upright is a more whole body experience, which includes the good with the bad.

​​​​​