View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 01:51 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I did a week long van supported trip with ACA three years ago, they hauled our camping gear in a trailer, all we had to carry each day was our lunch and water. I brought my folding bike for that trip, 40mm wide Schwalbe Marathon tires.

The rough chip seal in West Texas made for a really rough ride, my hands took a beating and my GPS started acting up from the vibration. Day one, I had between 55 and 60 psi in my front tire. Day two, dropped my front tire pressure to between 40 and 45. That was much better on my hands and my GPS was happier, rode the rest of the week at that pressure in the front tire. I was not noticeably slower at the lower pressure, the people that were behind me on day one were still behind me on later days. But, I was not riding for time, I probably was a bit slower. My rear tire was near 75 psi, but did not need to drop that pressure, only dropped the front pressure.

How much pressure do you need to avoid pinch flats on your front tire?

Side note: That GPS still acts up since that rough day, I think there was permanent damage from the rough chip seal.
Not sure how little pressure I can get by with to compromise my elbow injuries with an adequate rolling rate. With my new 32’s I’m guessing 65 up front and 75 in the back as these roads are not terrible but not fantastic either.
I’ve been doing a number of training rides just trying to evaluate such issues. At 60 years old this will be a bit of an effort so trying to maximize everything I can. Even if it’s only mental it can’t hurt.