View Single Post
Old 05-26-22, 04:42 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
History of a Miyata 1000

I got this Miyata 1000 frame free for shipping from west coast to east coast, so it was not exactly free. But when I looked at the shop sticker on the seat tube it spoke to me - "Hand Assembled, Shaw's Lightweight Cycles San Jose California".

My in-laws lived in Campbell, just a mile or two from San Jose, and we visited them nearly every year. The frame still has a couple of bicycle license stickers attached.

The frame is from late 1983. The condition is "a bit scruffy", and I am going to put it together and keep it as my last road bike. It has a decent Tange Falcon headset and a new Sunlite 120mm bottom bracket (hope I got the size right on that). I bought a 26.8 Kalloy seatpost and now I can clamp it in the stand.

The paint color in the photo looks a bit off. The actual color is a dark blue, almost purple. The frame came with the Dia-Compe canti's you see (960's maybe) and I'll keep them. I have some functional but rough looking 27" wheels; and maybe the brakes can adjust to 700c's.
I intend to use some kind of upright bar when I figure out what type of stem to use.
Likes For dweenk: