View Single Post
Old 09-19-22, 10:55 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Not disagreeing with your post but please clarify who is the minority group you are identifying: truckers or cyclists?

As a member of a visible racial minority, I've seen too often members from the aggressors claiming victimization thereby trivializing the experiences of those they victimize.

And as far as bicycle and road safety advocacy goes, I've read articles and political commentary how there is a war on cars.
I'm talking about us cyclists, but not just people on bikes that ride MUPs or residential roadways. The extreme minority of us that ride all the major roadways -- we are an extreme minority. However, I don't mean to say we are in the same predicament of those who are in a racial minority, since once we're off our bike no one knows who we are.

This goes way beyond the comments on the forum linked by the OP. I've been riding on the roadways since the mid-80's and I can't say how many times I've been told to get off the road, how we're treated (by many in positions of authority) when we're hit by a car, like it's our fault for riding a "toy" on the roadways. And the numerous negative/harsh comments in the comment section of articles that report on cyclists' accidents.

I will NEVER ride on MUPs in the interest of safety. People, like in the forum above, only increase my resolve to exert my right to the roads.

Likes For work4bike: