Old 11-26-13, 11:13 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Today is my first day of unemployment. I quit my job so that I can finally spend time emptying my storage unit and then find a job south of the snow belt. Unfortunately I caught a little bit of a cold when I rode to work last week in minus 6 degree weather. It's a mild one so today is the last day I'll spend inside resting. Within a week I'll have everything sorted into groups. Some things I'll keep. Some things I'll try to sell, and the rest will be given away. The selling part will take the longest. I wish I could just find somebody to handle selling it all and just give me my cut. Unfortunately the value isn't there. I think I'll bring in $2000 or less depending on how much time I'm willing to wait for the right buyers.

When it's all gone my minimalist goal will be achieved. I've noticed on a couple of blogs about minimalists that they come to realize they want even fewer possessions than they have. They keep paring down for a while. I definitely don't want to be a Buddhist monk and own just my clothes and a bowl. My list of things to keep has shrunk. It is still more than will fit into a car trunk. It all might fit into a very large bicycle trailer by Bikes At Work.

I rented the storage unit in May before my last move. At $60 per month I will have spent $560 on it by the time I'm done. I was wrong about how long I would need it. All it is doing is holding things until they are sold. I wasn't visiting it regularly to access things I need. Thus it was just holding things of value and every month that value was diminished $60. I'm glad I'm taking action to get rid of that stuff. If it just stayed there I would end up wasting the full value of the things and then start paying for them a second time.

Moving did save a lot of money. So I am taking that into account. Previously I was spending $850 per month to live in an apartment. Now I'm spending $360 including the storage unit. Simplifying my life does pay in some ways.
Could you recommend a good minimalist blog, please?