Old 12-08-19, 02:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelschlub
So I did Track 101 at Lexus in Detroit today. That was AWESOME. Much thanks for Joaquin, who ran the class. With such a short track the first turn feels like approaching a wall, then all of a sudden you pop out the other side. I'm signed up for Track 201 next weekend so I can start riding open track sessions. At the very least, it is some much needed variety for winter training, but I think I'm going to want to compete, too.

Why didn't I start riding track two years ago?
Nice!

When you finish your certs, maybe make plans to visit other tracks and you'll see how different they can be. Coming from such a steep track, being allowed to train or race elsewhere shouldn't be an issue.

Always exercise caution when visiting another track and give yourself at least one lengthy training session before you start racing there. Maybe the day before. You'll have to get used to how the new track launches you (or not) out of the turns. You don't want to learn that in a race when elbow to elbow.

Also, I knew of several highly competitive (pro) crit racers who would use track racing to hone their skills, legspeed, and fitness. Basically, on a good competitive race night, it's a great workout sparring with other P/1/2s on the track.

When Phinney went pro, he would mention that some of his track skills were part of his competitive advantage. (I'm sure that him winning the genetic lottery had something to do with that, too, hahahaha). Cav is also a top level trackie.