View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 05:39 AM
Vavida52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I am in the middle of a bike build (2000 Litespeed Classic) and after Christmas will be picking a component group. I have a Trek SLR 6 with mechanical Ultegra. Really nice bike. My old Trek 2.3 has lots of old Dura Ace gear on it (7700 acquired through ebay mostly). I am seriously considering buying a Dura Ace 9100 mechanical set for this build.

Will the new Dura Ace components work with a frame of this vintage ? It seems like it will but if anyone knows why it wouldn't I would love to hear it.. I already have a fork, bottom bracket and headset. Steerer tube shim and spacers. Ordering a stem next week.

I guess I am wondering if the Dura Ace is worth it. I have no illusions about my need for pro level gear. I am old and slow AF. I just want this bike to be light and have the best gear I can afford on it.

This rules out any DI2 stuff.

It looks like the biggest difference between Ultegra and DA is the weight savings. If there is any real world advantage other than that I would be interested to know.

I don't need to spend 2x as much for the DA stuff but honestly I can and have wanted to have a bike with full DA for along time. This is my shot. If you want to try and talk me out of it. Go for it. If you want to validate my decision that is cool too !!
I did similar with my vintage CAD2. Swapped out the old 2x7 RSX Shifters for Dura Ace 9001 mechanical STIs and Also dura ace 9000 brakes (Rest is ultegra R8000). It is just amazing. I also ride Ultegra R8000 disc Groupset and to be honest I don't feel so much of a difference. Both are great Groupsets.
​​​
Likes For Vavida52: