Old 12-11-21, 09:49 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
BB Spacer/Headset Preload

I have done builds before but they have been mashups with used parts etc and I never seriously asked these questions before.

1. I am installing a new Dura Ace crankset into a Chris King BB. How do I determine if I need the spacers included with the fit kit. The inner chainring is no closer to the chain stay than my other bikes. If I was assembling today I would probably just go for it and see if it worked OK and ad spacers if needed. If someone can tell me how to determine this beforehand that would be great. I am using a DA 11-30 cassette.

2. I have a Chris King No Threadset headset that I pressed in. It is flush with the steering tube and solid in all respects. I have a 1 inch fork with a shim, stem and carbon spacers. When fit together (but not tightened)there is very slight movement when rocking the fork. My thought is some pressure on the stem to provide slight tension/downward pressure then in the assembly should eliminate this then tighten the stem. Am I on the right track or is there a definite technique. I have used this technique before with success on a different bike but with a different headset.

3. Should the steerer tube be flush with the spacers or slightly recessed when installing and tightening the star nut. I can't remember for the life of me how I did it the last time.

This is a 2000 model year Lightspeed Classic Ti frame. All components are modern 9100 Dura Ace mechanical

Also ,if your just going to comment to tell me I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing , Please save it. I shouldn't have to ask for that courtesy but unfortunately I do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rdmonster69; 12-11-21 at 09:53 AM.