View Single Post
Old 05-25-22, 10:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Probably all good advice.

My tours tend to center around the riding. I do keep the plans flexible. Being retired makes it easier, but I never had fixed schedules or fixed end dates for my tours though. I ride until I feel like stopping for the day. That can mean long hard days or easy days. Sometimes the existence or lack of a place to stop drives the choice. The tour ends when I get to the end or decide to quit. I have always been inclined to start out doing modest daily mileage especially the first 10 days to 2 weeks on a long tour. That helps ease into what ever the correct mileage will wind up being. I don't typically plan much as to how far I will ride each day other than what the situation demands. I love meeting folks along the way and seeing things, but spend my time riding or taking it easy when the riding is too much. I typically don't take days off much, but do take "half days" or real easy days when needed. I do prefer to ride at least a few miles every day. I believe that active rest is better than full rest days.

Maybe I'll change my tune over time, but it never occurred to me that camping would be a limitation for me with age as long as I am still touring. I hope I am not kidding myself there. I won't rule out getting a room here or there or even all the time if that becomes a requirement at some point. Have folks here who loved to camp soured on it with age?
Likes For staehpj1: