View Single Post
Old 07-22-22, 08:36 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
The sensor loops require you to be right on them to disrupt the field. especially on the outside lines. That only works well IF you have alloy rims or frame. When I'm riding my all carbon road bike, there's not much metal to trigger the loop. So I either treat it as a 4 way stop, OR hit the pedestrian light and get back on the road. when safe. And even then, I'd just wait for the car to cross first if I can't see where their eyes are.
Like I said, there are errant drivers who don't pay attention and create hell for everyone on the road. There's a reason why CA and FL have some of the highest bicycle hit rates.

Did you see that Lefty on the Ti by Hilite? It's quite a nice bike, but I'd change the wheels to shallower rims, and seatpost and handlebar to carbon. I've been running the Schwalbe Almotion as my touring tires for years too. Especially like the OneStar compound ones. Don't like the Addix versions, which are slower and rides harder. Unfortunately, I stocked up once I saw Schwalbe changed the compounds.

Originally Posted by acroy
I hear and agree with much of what you say, with a couple caveats:
- If I had taken the lane to be where the driver expected to see cars, I would not have gotten a green light at all. That's how this intersection works, it's on sensors. It does not sense my bike. She would have gotten a protected green arrow, my light would stay red. When there is a car in this lane, I get behind it and follow it through. When no cars (as in this instance) I have to trigger the walk light or I get no light

- It's clear you're very thoughtful and let's acknowledge it, folks active on this forum are very engaged & thoughtful road users. I think we assume other users are similarly thoughtful and give drivers too much credit. I think the majority of drivers are completely and utterly thoughtless, just zoned out; that's sure how they drive. So I've calibrated my riding style such that, as much as possible, a zoned out driver never has the opportunity to hit me. Car drivers naturally zone out non-car-shaped objects. In other environments, ie when I visit my pal in Seattle, drivers are much more aware of peds/cyclists etc, as there are a lot of them. They are uncommon here and thus easy for the mostly-disengaged brain to completely ignore. "I never saw him" I have her saying on audio.

Nice options there - good to see Ti has believers, I've always loved the material. The amazing ride of steel coupled with zero corrosion. This bike was supposed to be my 'last' bike.... ah well. Similar boat here, willing to pay the $$ and want the details I want.