Old 08-09-22, 07:54 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
I had zero experience with any kind of sports until I strated cycling 4 years ago.
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
I actually even paid for bike fitting session last year, that's where they said me that my saddle is way too low, like 4-5 cms lower than it should be. I tried the saddle height they recommended for some time, and in the end decreased it about 1-1.5cms.
So this means that more than two years after you started cycling, the bike fitter said that the saddle should be raised by 4 cm or more. You then lowered it, to perhaps no more than 2.5 cm higher than where it had been before you got that advice.

I have trouble believing that the advice you got was knowledgable. If your saddle should have been raised by 2.5 cm or more, you'd have wanted to raise it even before being advised to do so.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
A very common problem is a too high saddle.
Yes.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
A leather saddle will mold to your bottom and distribute the forces over a large area.
Or then again maybe it won't. After a thousand kilometres or so by me (and an unknown distance by its previous owner(s)), my Brooks Team Pro almost looks brand new. (If you look closely, you see some hairline wrinkles; that's all. Its contours are unchanged.) It's not as uncomfortable as it looks, but that's not saying much. (I've done at least one "century" on it; but if I planned to do another on that bike, I'd put a different saddle on it.)

On saddle height:

(Don't be put off by the hammy image that's provided for the video. It gets serious quickly. Unfortunately, though, he does speak quickly, and Youtube's auto-subtitling isn't up to the task. For example, I noticed that the verb list is rendered as "listen" in one place, "lift" in another; both are of course utterly wrong. If you like this video, look at others from Francis Cade's channel – actually all related by "Bike Fit James" – on saddle choice [tip: it's likely that you already have a saddle that's fine], saddle angle, and saddle front–back positioning.)

NB I've never ridden even 300 km, and often don't know what I'm talking about.