Old 11-19-15, 10:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One job I got ... and I actually remained with them for 8 years ...

I had mailed in my application but had pretty much given up on them when I suddenly got a phone call ... could I come in for an interview next Tuesday (or whatever day it was).

No problem.

At the time, my former husband used our car for courier work, so I was on my own. I checked bus schedules and discovered that I could get a bus close to the place, but still about 1 km away. So there would be some walking involved.

That was OK until the night before and morning of the interview. It was January, and it snowed. Heavily! I knew that the 1 km walk had no sidewalks, and it was touch and go whether they would have ploughed the road given that the snow was still falling and the road wasn't a main one.

So I donned my interview outfit and my heavy Sorel boots, popped my dress shoes in a bag, and went. They had not ploughed the road, and it was tough slogging!! However, I arrived early, tidied myself up, and carried the boots into the interview.

Of course that raised questions. How had I travelled to the interview? Bus + walk. Oh, how resourceful ... given that half the staff hadn't made it in because they were faced with the prospect of driving in all that snow. Could I drive on the chance that it might be required as part of the job? Yup!

And I got the job.

I cycled there most of the time, walked occasionally, and took the bus a few times in winter when the conditions were particularly bad.