Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Ideal Handlebar drop?

Ideally I like to have a roughly 5 or 6 cm handlebar to saddle drop on my bikes, even if they are just designed for cruising. Otherwise I tend to use wildly long stems and something closer to being level with my saddle which ends up needing quite a high stack.

Even for my hybrid upright type cruiser bike, I have the stem mounted pretty low compared to the saddle and I am comfortable this way.

so how do you determine a comfortable drop, from a general perspective?

For example, my Felt Doctrine came stock with a 90mm stem, 7° rise, 69.5° head tube with no sag. With the stem mounted @ -7°, the "effective" length felt good, but the bars were too low for longer distance riding. Flipping to +7° put the bars in a more comfortable height while still being relatively aggressive.. now the stem felt a bit too short.

So I tried a 110mm stem with a +10° angle i took off my ill fitting Trek FX and I think I got things pretty bang on as far as bar positioning goes.

to be more specific with stem angles/lengths and what not. What would be some good ways to find an ideal balance between your "effective" stem length and stem rise? (Plus stack height, head tube angle, etc..)