View Single Post
Old 08-05-16, 09:48 AM
jeff400650

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Renting car. Will bike fit inside?

Kind of a silly question, but it is proving hard to determine.

I am going on my first ever multi-day tour in a month, from Astoria, OR to my home in Marin County, CA. About 800 miles. I have reserved a car rental from Hertz ("intermediate class, Toyota Corolla or similar") to drive North one way, and am not sure that I will be able to fit a 62cm Surly Disc Trucker with front and rear racks in it. I cannot specify the exact car model they will give me. The tiniest class they offer appear to be hatchback types, which would be the ideal configuration, but are probably too small. All of the larger cars are sedans that may have a narrow pass through from the trunk. I have only owned big trucks and SUVs and am unfamiliar with cramming bikes in cars.

They don't even have SUVs or vans available, and they cost twice the price if they did. The car costs over $300.00.

Hertz and Enterprise are the only companies that have locations in Astoria.

Can a big touring bike fit in a small to mid size sedan, perhaps with the wheels removed? I'd rather not have to remove the racks, handlebars, saddle, etc... and then have to put the whole bike and luggage back together in a parking lot at the start of my tour.