Old 08-05-16, 08:54 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff400650
Thanks for all of the useful replies. A coworker of mine has a new Corolla, I measured the inside, and measured my bike. It looks like I would have to remove both wheels, both racks, and the rear fender to put it in sideways (parallel with the rear seat). The pass thru hole from the trunk is pretty big. Maybe it would go in from the trunk, rear wheel first, with the bars and fork hanging out of the partially closed trunk. I will figure it out. Pain in the ass.
I have never seen the point of sedans with their waste of the potential space behind the rear window and above the trunk lid. Wagons, hatchbacks, SUVs are so much more functional.
I agree about sedans being impractical, plus I'm always amazed how big my 56 cm Surly DT is. OTOH loosening handlebar/seatpost & removing wheels/racks etc should take 30 min or less, not too bad for a multi-day tour. Much easier than doing S&S disassembly. If the chain has a quick-link perhaps you could remove the chain to lessen chance of staining upholstery. BTW I've never seen a Surly LHT on a roof-top rack, probably a 2-person job to hoist bike up heh.