View Single Post
Old 08-16-20, 04:56 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
When you want something uncommon you have two choices; pay up or do without it. C&V ain't for the faint of heart or wallet.
Close to true but with one exception - patience. I have had to wait/hunt/hope for years to get just what I wanted and at a decent price, sometimes darn near free. What sort of things am I talking about.

There is a Campy 50 tooth ring on Ebay right now. I am interested but broke until next pension check. Even then, the price is a bit high but not that high. If I had the bucks, right now and without a raft of cottage maintenance costs to deal with, I would just buy it.

How about a set of Legnano pantographed high flange hubs for nothing other than a simple trade...

or a take-off (NOS) Legnano pantographed cottered crank set with original take-off bottom bracket. Price - $100.00 US...

or a Legnano embossed head set picked up for free...

And, these days I seek a proper fork for my early to mid sixties Torpado Professional. I might never find one but the hunt and hope make it all worthwhile.

All that said, I will never keep a decent old bike, that I am interested in riding, off of the road just because I do not have everything that I need for a bike. I run what will fit/work until just what I want comes along. And, again, I add that the hunt and score makes it all worthwhile.