View Single Post
Old 01-27-21, 05:54 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hope I'm not too late to be helpful...I've been riding a 2017 Cypress DX since I bought it new in 2017. I've got about 4000 miles on it so far and I'm absolutely in love with it. I did a little checking on the features of the latest model..I've got rim brakes & different tire size than they offer now as well as Shimano front & rear derailleurs. Mine also has Shimano shifters, not sure what the difference is with the current model's Microshift setup. Most else seems pretty much the same.

The more upright position is perfect for me - my spine isn't what it used to be and I really notice it after I've ridden my Trek 800 for a while (my wintertime ride). Your back will thank you! I'll do 40-50 miles and I'm still feeling like I could keep going but I'm getting really hungry - there's only so far peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars can take you.

If you bring one home, here's the first thing to do: Change that giant sized (no pun intended) saddle ASAP. Maybe even have the bike shop put the new one before you take it home. I went with a Giant Flow saddle and it was the best thing I ever did. As for the suspension seatpost, you'll never even notice it's there. Tighten the adjustment on it as tight as it will go within reason and forget about it.

You'll come to appreciate the suspension fork - it probably adds weight that you don't need but it does a good job soaking up bumps & such. Once again...I notice it most in the spring after a winter of riding one without it.

Tires: I put over 3500 miles on the stock tires...actually I've only replaced the rear so far, the front one still has plenty of life in it and it's spent a lot of time on trails. The rear one I pulled off actually had a small hole in it that I never noticed since it never went flat. I replaced it with the comparable stock replacement that I ordered on Giant's website. Replaced the stock pedals with ones from Giant's website as well - I think they were called "Core" or something like that - pinner pedals - I'm not coordinated enough to clip in. They're worlds better than the standard ones that come with the bike.

If you haven't bought something already - give the Cypress DX a long look. You'll enjoy every minute you're on it. But get rid of that stock saddle ASAP!