View Single Post
Old 09-04-22, 07:18 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12

Getting checked into the hospital in Atascadero after my face plant . Eroica 2018. “ Does this mean I can’t finish?” Broken hand and five broken bones in my face….”Doh”
I can vouch for how much persuading it took to make kabuki12 understand that straightening the bars and getting back on the bike were bad ideas. (@Choke can vouch for this, too - he was there.) I saw the crash; Joe went down hard. He wanted to get up and keep going. Fortunately, I am bigger than he is and I am pretty insistent in these matters. After a few minutes of enforced sitting down and letting the adrenaline wear off, Joe realized he was in no shape to keep going and saw the wisdom of getting into the sag wagon that happened along right then.

This is a lesson for us all. It was not at all obvious how badly he was hurt. Pros are paid to get back up right away and keep going. We aren't. Make sure the crash victim (you or someone else) really is okay before even thinking about letting yourself/them continue the ride. That means sitting down for at least ten or fifteen minutes, preferably with your/their head between your/their knees. Or better yet, lying down with feet higher than the head. Shock will probably come, and being on a bike when it hits is not a good thing.