View Single Post
Old 03-23-24, 06:37 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
On many of the routes I take, the urban environment means that the specific sound of a car behind me can be fairly muddled-in with the rest of the noise. Particuarly anywhere near the nearby highways (which snake through and around many of the communities). I'm nowhere near deaf, but the sound's not always easy to pick out.

About the only way to enhance rearward awareness is to either have mirrors or radar or be regularly looking. In such situations, this sort of radar seems to fill a void that might otherwise leave a person fairly surprised and without options. (Have used mirrors. In my experience they work well enough, but they do take attention away from what's up ahead and they do require frequent checking. Whereas a radar would do the looking for the rider.)

I suspect that many people in similar urban areas have to contend with higher noise levels that'll drown out much of an approaching vehicle's noise.
I'm sorry, but I have to politely disagree, I've been riding on city streets for over 45 years in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Detroit and Chicago, just to name a few, and never wish I had a mirror or a radar. People have been riding for years without either, like I said before, if someone is going to hit you that radar isn't going to help the least bit, they are going to hit you. I just don't think it's necessary to have that stuff; but you do you, and I'll do me.