View Single Post
Old 03-10-11, 10:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Buy Chain-L!!!

I'm sorry folks, this time I just couldn't resist.

Asking which oil to buy is like going on a forum and asking whether you should date blonds or brunettes. The answer of course is redheads.

Same with chain oil, everyone has favorites, and ones they hate, and you won't get any good consensus. Some folks get very worked up about the subject so be ready to be assaulted from all sides.

The simple fact is that there are a number of good, but very different products out there and any will do OK if used properly. Of course, I too have a bias since I make Chain-L, but in all fairness the right oil for you depends on your tastes and where and how you ride.

Is it dusty or rainy?
Do you do long road rides or short trips of an hour or two?
Are you diligent and willing to service your bike frewuently, or do you want something that requires less attention?
Are you fussy about how your chain looks, or a pure performance, looks be dammed kinda guy?

The answers to these questions will help you select an oil suited to your needs and preferences. There are also a number of review sites (on other forums) and numerous field test articles on various sites. Look for a product that receives high ratings in conditions similar to yours. For example if you live in Arizona, a review from someone in Vermont may not be as relevant. Also ask folks at the local shops what they use on their own bikes since they've probably experimented the most.

Once you've gotten down to a short list pick one, use it per the makers instructions and see how it works for you. If you're not happy you can always change, because it's not like you're buying a bike or expensive component you'll be stuck with for years. Chain lube is a consumable and most riders try a few before settling on a favorite.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.