View Single Post
Old 09-16-14, 09:26 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Brooks width, you make the call.

I will probably get flamed for posting since much has been said on the subject, but I have read everything I can find about how to determine what width brooks to get and find no clear consensus. Was thinking of getting a 150mm swift for a road bike I ride in afairly aggressive position ( 5cm drop, fast group riding) but guidance on width is all over Map so I am opening up to a vote here as to whether it's too narrow for me and my 110mm sit bones

Backstory

I have a Brooks pro that I love, at 160mm, seems to fit my 110mm sit bones just fine on a bike with relatively upright set up (shortish reach with more moderate drop from saddle to handlebar than my other bike). This makes sense to me because once I account for the 1.5 cm on either side of the saddle taken up by the cantle, the rideable width is 130mm, giving me a cm on either side to ensure my sit bones rest on leather not cantle. By extrapolation, a 150mm swift would appear only to provide 120mm ridable surface area. Leaving me only 5mm on either side before contacting the cantle. this seems kinda tight to me.

Rivendell seems to think everything Brooks makes beside B17 (170mm) is too narrow Brooks Saddles from Rivendell Bicycle Works, while this site indicates Swift is too narrow for anyone with sit bones wider than 95mm
Leather saddles: Brooks, Lepper, Selle Anatomica, seat covers, saddle maintenance, etc..

But others testify to riding comfortable on a swift despite relatively wide sit bones.

So what say you BF, too narrow or wide enough for aggressive rider with 110 sit bones?