Thread: Three wheels
View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 08:03 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
This is a common misconception about recumbent trikes. Most riders will tell you that they get far more room from passing cars than they do with a standard road bike. I ride a Catrike 700 which has a 25 degree seat angle so is about the most reclined of all the recumbent trikes. I do fly a flag and wear a helmet because that makes sense. If a vehicle driver can't see a 7 foot long trike with a rider who's head is about 36" off the ground, they need to trade in the vehicle for a white cane and a seeing eyed dog. I've been riding recumbent trikes since 2003 and only had one incident. That was on a 4 lane road with marked bike lanes on both sides. It was in the middle of a bright sunny Sunday morning with virtually no traffic. In fact, the car was the only one in sight and I could see him coming a long way off. I don't know if the driver was impaired on drugs or alcohol but he came right up behind me straddling the bike lane. It would not have made one iota difference had I been riding a regular bike. I wasn't hurt and there was minimal damage to the trike but it was very scary.