oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That's not terrible for a hybrid; a TIG welded 21" Trek Multitrack 750 frame (True Temper OX), fork, and headset weighs in at an unimpressive 7lbs 2oz. Hybrids had heavy forks, around 900 grams; the high end Cannondales of the era had superlight Al forks that were made in PA by hand. Along with sub 3lb frames, they were very light bicycles for the 90s. At the time, this brand focused on low weight and visual impact.
I own a late 80s cannondale road bike that I absolutely love; it is crazy light. I think it's the big fat tubes and unusual angles that do it for me. I was surprised at how heavy this bike was comparably. Granted it has loads of heavy components and is a little more heavy duty 🤷🏼‍♂️.

My wife isn't too worried about weight... When I finished her early 80s Nishiki Mixte for her she picked it up and exclaimed, "it's so light!" It weighs nearly as much as a battleship.

What does the crowd say about shifters on this type of bike? It currently has some horrible grip shifters. Do you prefer shifter and brake lever? Or something integrated into one piece?