Old 03-13-21, 09:01 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
450 miles on the Maxxis Velocita so far...

tl;dr: Excellent wear, fast at recommended pressure of 55-75 for 185lb rider. Nice to have the volume of a 40mm tire. Will probably use these for general use and buy Rene Herse 35mm tire for my long rides. I ran these tubeless with Stan's sealant.

Ran these tires at 35/35psi for a 75 mile ride and a few shorter 20 mile trips. Wasn't too impressed, they were smooth but took a lot of effort to turn. There's a note on the tires recommending a much higher range of 55-75 so I put the front to 55 and the rear to 65. It was much quicker now and not terribly harsh. I'll do a usual 30 mile out and back on gravel. These Maxxis feel as fast as my "38mm" GK SK's but I can notice a difference in tire volume on gravel. I feel more confident blasting over bad line choices. On pavement they seem to be a tad quicker, but also less noisy.

Today I did my first century of the season and averaged close to what I accomplished on my lemond with 25mm tires. Still off by a few mph from my fastest time set though. However I did have 20 miles of gravel and the volume was welcome! Not just for gravel though - it plows through some nasty spring roads full of pot holes and expansion cracks. The added security was welcome once I started to fatigue.

However, for my long distance wants,
At the pressure I'm running I might as well run a 32mm tire. I think these Velocitas will be my new gravel/daily workout tires. I'm close to just buying some barlow pass from Rene Herse and being done with it, I really want that extra few miles per hour. I had the opportunity to buy 32mm GK TLR slicks for $35/piece but ignored it. Maybe I should've gone that route but even if the RH tires are pricey I won't run them all the time. I think it's worth it when I could get a handful of seasons out of them, rotating them off for the Maxxis except for those few long rides.
Likes For GrainBrain: