Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 11-08-21, 10:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I have an affinity for the Panaracer family of tires: Pasela 700x28C on two bikes, Pacenti Pari-Moto 650x38B on another, Compass/Rene Herse 26"x1.8" Naches Pass on another, and Gravelking 650x48B on the newest addition (wife's new bike.) I also have an idle set of 26"x1-3/8" Col de la Vies that I'm considering putting on my old 3-speed, too..

Paselas were one of the few "supple" tanwall tires commonly available about 10-15 years ago before that style came back, but I'm not a big fan of the deeply-grooved tread. It looks as if designed to prevent hydroplaning, which is unnecessary and leads to cracking in the tread as it wears. Whenever feasible, I use the file-tread versions of Panaracer tires. (The "Fairweather for Traveler" is another option along these lines in 700x28C, but I haven't tried it yet.)

Another downside to this family of tires for commuting is that the tan sidewalls age like milk if you park the bike outside in sunlight all day. The sidewall latex dries up and flakes off, leaving the already-fragile sidewalls vulnerable to abrasion. It's rare that I wear through the tread of one of these tires before a sidewall injury takes it out. I get enough miles for the dollar that I can't complain too much.

We haven't put a lot of miles on the Gravelkings yet, but if I needed a durable file-tread commuter tire with decent rolling resistance and classic-ish looks, I'd look into another set of those.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-19-21 at 09:49 AM.