View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 08:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, the 1030+ has the same size battery. It's much better than the 1030 on battery life though. He's using "Battery Save Mode" to get 30% for 21 hours. I think the 1030 has the same option (look at the settings menu in the home screen).

No, it's not "courses with too much info". Sensors might use a bit more (but likely not noticeable more). Updating the map screen (if it's displayed) uses more than a data screen.
Yes, I use all the tricks to squeeze as much life as possible. I thought doing 22 hours riding time on a 600k using only 80% of the battery was stupendous. I guess I need to learn more.

I disagree with you about course points and turns. When the screen is off and the Garmin is in some sort of rest state when I approach a turn or some sort of warning, the Garmin display will turn on and it will beep several times, both of which take energy. On a 400K recently, there were over 300 turns on the paper cue sheet and many other tidbits of information. Additionally, when cars approach from the rear, the unit will go out of this extended life sleep mode. I never ever use the map screen unless lost. My screen shows speed, power, distance to next turn, HR, gradient, total distance, total time, and temperature.

Aside from updating the FW and adding the Varia radar unit, I also changed GPS satellites to the Russian ones because the Garmin was constantly showing me off course. Once I switched to the Russian ones, I was fine. Maybe the Russian Satellites suck more power from me.