Old 07-30-21, 02:01 PM
SpecK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by idk what to say
yesterday i asked a stupid question "why are bikes so expensive" i wanted to know if i should invest in a bike thats top tier or just get a cheap one from craigslist for now. You might have thought i was a troll but i have more important things to do even though I was and still is super bored. so again sorry.

You don't need to buy an expensive bike to get started. I am still riding my $450 bike and love it. With that said, I have probably spent more than the initial cost of the bike in replacing parts like saddle, handlebars and pedals to my liking. This however was not necessary to get started and to enjoy the bike, but as I rode more I started understanding and appreciating things differently. I will likely move most of these parts over to a new bike if I decide to upgrade.

My point is, you learn as you go along and only by having some more experience in what type of riding you'll be doing and what matters to you can you really decide if what you are getting from spending more money on a bike is worth it. For example, a higher end groupset might shift faster and smoother than an entry level one. However, that doesn't mean that the entry level one is crap or doesn't get the job done. And if all your riding is on flat trails where you stay in the same gear for a long time, a slight improvement in shifting performance might not mean that much to you. It all depends on what your personal goals are and what type of riding you'll be doing.

I bought my cheap bike with the idea that I would trade up if I really got into it. At this point I don't feel an immediate need to trade up as I still feel I am getting my current bike dialed in to my liking and what I learn from this will be valuable for whenever I do upgrade and spend more money. So my advice to you would be to get something that's decent quality to get you started. You can always upgrade later, and if biking isn't for you, then you won't be stuck with an expensive bike. If you buy online, you can find a decent starter bike for around $500, but be prepared to either learn how to set up the bike yourself or have a bike mechanic do it for you. If you buy from a bike shop you would likely pay a bit more, but they would likely then set the bike up for you and be able to advise you. I would steer away from department store bikes. There is also nothing wrong with buying used, but it can be hard to find decent used bikes that aren't overpriced, but that might depend a bit on your local area as well.

I did a lot of online searches and reading when I was looking for a bike, and some advised against doing what I ended up doing, which was buying a relatively inexpensive bike. Looking back, I think I was overthinking things. Just go buy a freaking bike and start riding. It is not a once in a lifetime decisions and it doesn't have to be the last bike you ever buy.