View Single Post
Old 03-04-18, 09:25 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
I've been using a Garmin edge 800 for years. Yeah the screen is small but I'm used to it. I just need to zoom in when trying to navigate in a city, but out in the countryside where there are fewer streets it's no problem. I bought my first one used and when it finally died I just bought another one instead of upgrading to the 1000.

I thought the newest Edge that came out (1100?) was supposed to have incredible battery life. A friend has the 1000 and he loves it. Big screen, short battery life though.

Edit: But yeah, any issue with just using your phone? Assuming you'll bring one with you anyway, waterproof handlebar mounts aren't expensive, and there are plenty of apps for routing and ride tracking.
The 1030 was just released....battery life is better, but it uses a bizarro proprietary battery socket....so you cannot use cheap USB sticks to charge on-the-go...and have to buy a $150 proprietary battery

Problem with phone. Lots of road where there's no service on any carrier or MVNO, not even 3G....sometimes not even 1x. See it every year on Tour de Nebraska. Which is a ding against Wahoo computers, as if you need to reroute you need a data connection--which in the sticks may not exist.

My Edge1000 does the trick...but needs a USB battery to have the legs for any ride longer than 6-7 hours. After that it is flat and dead.