View Single Post
Old 10-28-22, 10:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I agree concerning the issue of FG and QR axles. So long as it is a quality QR such as Shimano or Campagnolo of the enclosed-cam variety. Here's Sheldon Brown's take on it.

Quick-Release or Nutted?

Track hubs generally come with solid axles and track nuts. This is because most velodromes have rules requiring this type of wheel attachment.As a result, it is widely believed that quick-release axles are not suitable for fixed-gear use. This is false!

It is my belief that the velodrome rule dates back to long before the invention of the quick-release, when the choices were standard nuts or wingnuts. The protruding "wings" of wingnuts might constitute a hazard in a crash, and I believe that's why the rule was instituted. Since quick-release skewers don't have any sharp projections, that becomes a non-issue in practice.

If you are going to use a quick release with a fixed gear, you should make sure to use a good quality enclosed-cam skewer.
Hard to argue withSheldon Brown though I do like a nutted axle looks wise on a fixed gear but beyond that don't care.

DT Swiss RWS skewer would be my choice for a fixed gear or really any quick release. I love my Paul ones they are pretty and work like a charm but I do think the RWS is kind of superior and in usage they are fantastic with no slippage or any issues and I can move the handle wherever I want it. Plus they work like how some people incorrectly use standard QR levers so it can make it easier for beginners as well.
Likes For veganbikes: