Old 03-15-21, 12:25 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by KingoftheNorth
About two years ago I came to this forum with a quandry. I wanted to get into cycling but wasn't prepared to pay what the major bike shops were asking and didn't want to go with a "big box" bso either.

The advice I was given here was that there was a third option - look for something used but good. Thank you for the advice.

I did exactly that, bought myself a good used XCR. I thought It had all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a new big ticket bike (air suspension fork, Shimano 27 speed gear system, triple chainring Shimsno crankset, alloy disk hubs with Wienmann rims, hydraulic disc breaks).

Since I got it I upgraded the bike to a hydraulic fork, suspension seat post and carbon fibre wheelset, besides giving it a good paint job etc.

Today I went into a cycle club Id like to join. They took one look at my bike and described it as a "beginners bike" and assumed I wanted to join the beginners section of the club. I also met some of the clubs execs and they all had BIG ticket bikes.

I had hoped that with the original bike and the modifications I made, I wouldn't have to buy a new bike, (unless I wanted to take part in some serious ultra marathons - which I don't atm).

Does my bike really have to cost $$$$$ to be a serious cyclist?
Recent threads like:
Will my bike always be a beginners' bike?
Does my bike make me a pariah?
Do I really have to spend a lot on my bike?
Are they all gonna laugh at me? etc etc...

OK, so my opinion as to your question is NO, your bike does NOT really have to cost $$$$$ to make you a serious cyclist! If you're serious about your riding, and enjoy doing it more and improving, you ARE a serious cyclist!
That's it! The answer is NO - you CAN call yourself a serious cyclist even though you do not have a bike that cost $$$$$. There will always be someone with a pricier, more up-to-date bike than you.

AND, if you are joining a club where you can ride with them fine, but they tell you that you must leave BECAUSE your bike did not cost $$$$$, then good - you don't want them. Join a different club.
Or don't join ANY cycling club! Sorry, but I still do not understand why people voluntarily join things where they will be made to feel inadequate. One can find that for free in many aspects of life!