Old 02-06-22, 10:45 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by tuz
I'm mostly a commuter and I find kickstands very practical. Have them on three customs bikes, with a kickstand plate. The Esge double-leg is very good and I even managed to wear one out (it still works). I do find that the bolt tends to loosen after a while. Also consider braze-ons for a dutch-style wheel lock. Makes your life easier when running errands.
A Dutch style wheel lock works great for many situations. A cable or chain can fit into the lock on the bike when greater security is needed. They are just so enormously convenient being stored/carried on the frame itself without taking up room in a bag or basket. All it takes to attach such a lock on a frame is 2 water bottle bosses on the seat stays. Here is a picture of an Abus ring lock on my wife's MUT riding bike. It is easy enough to take off and put back on if there is any reason to do so.

Locks in America seemed to be designed and marketed for big city use. Will your bike still be there if parked in NYC? Well I don't live in a big city leaving a bike parked outside for a full working day. I run errands in a town with a population of 15,000. I don't leave my bike parked for a long time and mostly just need one to discourage a spur of the moment opportunist. I think the only reason they aren't much more popular in the US is because we aren't familiar with them and their advantages. I love mine. If I was building a touring bike, I would certainly add those 2 small water bottle bosses for them on the seat stays.