View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 05:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Suspension can be a good thing, but cheap suspension generally is not good.

If you are serious about investing in suspension that will take the edge off and just not be an around town anchor, you’ll need to spend some money.

I’m not sure exactly what is available for very light touring, but I would think that something like a Lauf lightweight fork might be nice if you are not running front panniers.

I can’t imagine rear suspension on a touring bike, but I could see where a high quality suspension seat post like a Redshift might be nice.

In the end I suspect that you will probably opt for a lower end solution. If you can find an older softail mtb with front suspension it might work for you.

John
​​​​​​2 of my friends have bikes with the Lauf fork and both are very happy with them.

Remember the Cannondale Silk Road? It had a Headshock, I think 20mm, and a suspension seatpost.

Bikepacking has become a thing for mountain bikes so bags and storage options are available.

When I ride my enduro type bike on the road I just switch on the lockouts unless it's a rough road, then I let the suspension work.

Both touring bikes I have owned had flexy steel forks and long wheelbases and could fit large tires. I used 32s for a 3000 mile tour but I have also used 23s on week long trips.
One of the Lauf guys.
Likes For big john: