Old 01-14-23, 08:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Been hitandrunned too and what really shook me up was that one of my wealthy, educated, liberal, neighbors would leave me unconscious on the road and go about their business. I knew all about the risk after fifty years of riding in traffic and getting hit several times.

I do another risky sport, ocean racing, were people die every year, but safety is something you can really do something about. Hundreds of years of wisdom and evolving doctrine, real research, personal skill and experience, thousands of dollars worth of safety gear, all keep people alive when things go very bad indeed. You can learn from every experience, read another book, take another course, buy another gizmo, or practice another skill. I’m a good sailor at this point and I sail with even better ones, but you know what? Despite all that stuff, I get scared, sometimes sickeningly scared, when things get “sporty” offshore.

Cycling is a lot more dangerous. There’s nothing you can do to protect yourself beyond basic skills, equipment, and prudence, and your life is in the hands of the dumbest, meanest, asshat on the road. However, it’s totally different emotional experience for me. I rarely give the danger a thought. Just something about the cognitive framing gets my dumb old ass out there on the road every day.

That said, I carried lots of life and disability insurance when those things mattered economically to my family, and have good long-term care insurance now. My will, DPOAs, etc are up to date, and my wife is down with the situation.
Likes For MoAlpha: