superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
Hey all, looking to hear about peoples experiences transitioning to first time parenthood, and how you navigated your relationship with riding during the early times. I am fortunate to be able to get some time off, but I don't currently have high expectations for myself, or for the amount of time I have initially to commit to my fitness due to helping carry the load with my spouse and a lack of sleep.

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advice you have!
YMMV (as I know there are folks who race and train with kids in carseats), but for me (a 2500-3500mi/yr rider), it was basically a 5 year "get out when I can" trade-off. Also depends on the Wife and how the two of you have expectations of each other and of your lifestyle, as it does change a ton (and yes, cliche's aside, 99.9% for the better ) Do get used to the idea of 45min on the trainer in May when the weather's nice because you're racing between naps and meetings and outside is too far away in case the baby wakes up or you're needed.

Definitely won't have those 6hr Saturday rides (at least I didn't), like I said, all comes down to how you and your wife work things out.

I will say this, though, it's a tradeoff I'd make every time. Congrats and enjoy

*most of the time, they're teenagers now

Last edited by superdex; 01-30-23 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For superdex: