Old 11-21-21, 11:56 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
If you had a choice and cost wasn’t a concern, which groupset would you choose? For a C$10,000 bike.

SRAM Force Etap 12 speed

or

Shimano Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed

and why?

Thanks for your input!
I'd go with the AXS but if I were comparing here because it works so well, is so easy to set up, and is a much cleaner installation. FWIW, I converted a Ultegra Di2 bike (11 spd) to Red eTap (11spd) and am really glad I did. I think the same would apply to 12 spd. I initially had converted a mech bike to red eTap which was really the only choice since Di2 was out of the question due to cables on a bike not designed for internal electronic routing. I liked it so much, I tossed by Di2 and replaced it with eTap. Here in Minnesota, where I ride until the ground freezes, the SRAM shifters are much easier to use with full gloves.

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I built a bike last year (Covid project) and was considering Etap, because I could use a set of carbon bars I already had, and didn't have to worry about internal wiring. Couldn't find a groupset anywhere at the time, so I went with Di2 and aluminum bars designed for internal wiring.

I'm glad I did. SRAM has stopped all production of components for earlier 11 spd Etap systems (although now they have some updated software that will allow you to buy the newer 12 spd levers and reprogram them to work with 11 spd.) And now, with the new 12 sp Di2, there are no wires from the levers to run.
Not entirely true. SRAM has updated the rear derailleur for Red eTap (11 spd) with a clutch derailleur just last fall. You could still buy an entire system piecemeal if you wanted to. With the modifications to make 12 spd shifters work with 11 spd, the new RD upgrade, etc... that strikes me as better than normal support for a system that has been superseded by a newer one.

J.