View Single Post
Old 04-25-22, 09:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
What do you carry with you?

On patch kits, the vulcanizing glue dries up so fast that once it has been used, you have a whole bunch of patches that can't be used because the tube is all dried up. Unless you buy a whole bunch of new tubes of vulcanizing glue.
You need to tighten the cap better and/or don’t roll the tube. I have tubes of fluid that have been open for years that are still good. A loose cap will let the solvent evaporate and a rolled glue tube can crack. If you are patching at home, you can get a can of fluid that is easier to use and seal so that you don’t have to depend on the glue in the patch kit.

I have a garage full of patched tubes but I don't have a lot of confidence taking them out as spares because too often I still hear leaks after patching them up.
Learn how to patch properly and get a better patch kit. Rema TipTop is the only patch kit/patching system that is worth using. Unlike most other patch kits, it actually use chemistry to make new rubber bonds. Other patch kits use rubber cement which is only a contact adhesive.

Additionally, don’t reinflate the tube immediately after patching. The patch isn’t nearly as flexible as the tube and the adhesive (or vulcanizing fluid) will pull away from the patch when you inflate a freshly patched tube. Check the tire in a water bath before patching, mark all the holes you can find, and then fix them.

If you know how to patch and use Rema patches, you can ride a patched tube with confidence. I patch all the time and have tubes with multiple (up to 30) patches on them. I have no issues using them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: