View Single Post
Old 07-26-22, 03:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
The problem is pretty much resolved with some additional adjustments. There's nothing wrong with the Trident, it's a perfectly fine trike. There's just a tiny bit of noise and the guy who installed my e-assist said that's because he took the 8 speed cassette off and put on a wheel with a 7 speed so the chainline is not quite perfect (I called him about this). My interest in the Efneo (which is only five hundred bucks, 1/3 of the cost of the trike without assist) is partly to be able to shift while stopped, and also to get a bigger gear range because when I ride with assist I can top out. Neither of those has anything to do with it being a Trident trike, lol, and would have been the same issues with any other brand. I don't want a rear solution, that's not going to address these issues. I don't care about getting back what I put into it; it's not an investment It's my car - literally - and no one expects to get anything close to what they paid for a used car. I'm very happy with it and just would like to be able to use the higher levels of assist without spinning out and would like to be able to shift at stops when I forget to do it ahead of time. It's absolutely worth $500 to me to be able to do that and there's a $50 off deal, too.
All noted. I will defer to your actual possession of a Trident trike as to its worth to you. However, since you quoted prices. Let me just leave some additional info and then I will go away. Just so you know, the Sturmey-Archer rear end solution DOES allow shifting of the IGH at stops. All S-A have done is combined the crankset IGH (Efneo) inside the rear hub. Now it is much smaller, weighs less, and costs 1/5 the price. Even with wheel building you can come out at 1/4 the price of a front end solution. Don't take my word for it, every front line manufacturer from Bike Friday, to Greenspeed, to HPV, when they need the range of a Road Triple in a 20" wheel size they use an IGH/Cassette hybrid rear hub. The former go to was the SRAM Dual-Drive but they were discontinued. Not due to any lack of consumer satisfaction.