urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
As far as I can tell, you will never really be able to avoid it when riding in hot weather. To reduce or minimize it, be sure you're doing the following:

- Start hydrating before your ride. Like, hours before.

- During the ride, drink before you feel thirsty. Taking frequent little sips is better than big guzzles at longer intervals.

- Electrolytes need to be replenished as well. This will not prevent cotton mouth, but it's related to the topic. I like Gatorade Zero (not the original, sugary formula). There are also powders you can mix into your water. My favorite of these is Skratch.
+1 I will actually have Gatorade or some sort of electrolyte drink before the ride so that it's easier to stay hydrated during the ride.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Learn to be able to drink while riding. The ride will not be interrupted or slowed down. If you can't manage a water bottle, buy a hydration pack
I was about to suggest this. It's normal for newer riders to be uncomfortable riding while drinking, but that's exactly why the bottle cages are placed where they are. Start by leaving your valve open (unless you're on very bumpy terrain) and coasting while taking a drink on a straight section of road. Glance down for a fraction of a second to see where you're aiming for to put the bottle back, and keep a good grip on it until it's secure back in the cage. As you get more comfortable, you can try pedaling while doing it and not looking down as you get used to where to aim the bottle. It eventually gets to the point that you don't even break your rhythm.