View Single Post
Old 09-14-22, 11:25 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Which bike to choose?

After looking at RB1-lvr's post about his new Trek 520 I think I'm at a cross road in my life to change the cycling path (figuratively and literally!) I've been on for so many years which has been on the road. Riding on the tarmac is losing it's appeal, more and more cars, all driving faster to get where they need to go and to be honest, just bored with the same routes after what seems like hundreds of times. I'm in a built up area outside of the city so there's some quieter streets to ride on, down by the lake and good MUP trails but I've done it all.

I really like the idea of gravel rides. I enjoy them on the MUP trails through the forest, have driven out to some rail trails and was riding up in the north country on old back cottage roads and had a blast. No cars in sight! Now trying to decide which would be the best bike.

Gravel, touring or converted vintage mountain bike? I don't see myself ever getting into the technical trails and would mostly be on some light or crushed gravel and a bit of tarmac. Can't see myself getting into bike camping but one never knows.

I know most people on this forum probably have one of all of the above types of bikes so what do you prefer?