View Single Post
Old 09-20-22, 04:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by JISO
Good point, yes I think traction will be the limiting factor here especially with a 23mm in the front
Actually front wheel braking isn't usually limited by traction. Instead, what matters is the "tip vs slide" calculation.

Essentially, What matters is the slope of the line from the front wheel's point of contact on the pavement (where braking forces happen) and the center of gravity of the rider and bicycle. For practical purposes consider the braking force to be along that line, and producing both a vertical and horizontal vector. As long as the vertical vector is less than the rider (and bike's,) weight, gravity will keep the bike down. As brake force is increased, that vertical component increases, until eventually it's large enough to lever the rider upward.

Note that this is a cascade phenomenon, because as the rider lifts, the line of action changes in a way more favorable to further tipping unless the brake is released (or eased off). Overall, safe and effective front braking is about skilled modulation and keeping the CofG lower and farther back from the front wheel, which is why it's virtually impossible to have an endo on a recumbent or tandem.

There are two other key factors ------ While, tire traction is usually adequate to achieve a tip condition in most cases, slippery conditions may become a limiting factor. There's also a dynamic factor, which I liken to shifting cargo in trucks, Inexperienced riders in a panic stop often relax their arms such that as the bike slows they slide forward, in such a way to change the vectors in a way favorable to tipping. This may explain endos that it theory shouldn't have happened.

So to the OP - if you can stop hard enough to lift the rear wheel, you've got all the brake thee bike can tolerate. OTOH - if you cannot reach the tipping point, then more brake, wisely moderated, MAY help.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-20-22 at 10:39 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: