View Single Post
Old 03-23-22, 09:27 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Frustrated with cycling clubs

I do not like riding solo. Actually, let me clarify that. I DO enjoy riding solo, but I no longer feel safe doing so, after being struck three years ago by a distracted driver who left me lying in the middle of the road (he was caught, and my injuries were limited to some stitches and road rash, thankfully.)

I joined a local cycling club to participate in the group rides. Safety in numbers and all that. Unfortunately, at 70 years old, I'm no longer as fast, nor can I cover the distances or do the climbs I did when I was younger and racing bikes. A heart condition and arthritic knee mean I must limit my heart rate and watch the effort on hills I subject my knee to.

Club rides are classified by pace - A (20+), B (18-19), C (15-17). I guess now I would be considered a D rider, usually averaging 13.5 - 14.5 MPH, depending on the severity of hills on the route. There are no D pace rides. The closest ride they offer at that pace is what is known as the "Beginners" ride (12-13MPH) designed for those new to cycling. I usually participate in those, even though I would hardly consider myself a beginner. I help out the ride leader, riding with the newbies, generally riding sweep to observe and help when needed.

The problem is, that ride is only held once per week. I have tried to organize a D pace group to piggyback with the usual club rides, hopefully drawing on some of the beginner group that wish to pick up their pace slightly. Sometimes I'll get one or two riders, sometimes no one wants to ride with the 'old, slow guy'. When that happens, I'll skip the ride. That riding alone paranoia thing, y'know. Oddly enough, when I do get one other rider, we'll often catch those who tried to hang with the C group, burned themselves out, and were dropped. Next week, they'll still head out with the faster group, though.

I still renew my club membership every year. The club does a lot of work with local authorities to help make cycling safer in the area, and hosts some good charity rides as well, including the "Tour de Paws" to raise money for the local animal shelter. (My wife and I have four rescue mutts, so it's something dear to our hearts.) The $25 membership fee includes a $25 gift certificate to the local bike shop, so I always get a new pair of socks or gloves each year, and consider it a wash.

Okay, rant done. It's raining today, so it's a good excuse to get on the smart trainer and ride in Zwift. That is, after I rub down my knee with some Aspercreme. It doesn't like it when it rains.

Our four "girls":

Last edited by Bald Paul; 03-23-22 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For Bald Paul: