View Single Post
Old 08-11-21, 08:37 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The veteran racer just suffers from a size versus power profile discrepancy. Imagine if Phil Gaimon wasn't 150 lbs but heavier given the same height, knowing the Gaimon power profile isn't really sprinter stuff. But he just loves doing crits mostly.
I don't know the guy, but it kinda sounds like the veteran is doing the wrong type of crits and/or racing poorly. Speaking as someone who is kinda big and had decent sustained power but poor sprinting/VO2 power, your tactics really need to be in line with your abilities. Aka, find a flat, technical crit and attack into the turns to get your gap because with no jump you're not going to get away cleanly. I'm not sure what venue the weeknight worlds are in your area, but a lot of times they're just oval tracks, and they suuuuck for people like me. They do bring the pain though and are a good workout, which could be the other reason the "vet guy" you're referring to is doing them.

Man I love that I'm speaking in present tense btw. I haven't raced or really trained since 2015 and my 20 minute power is down to 280ish and my weight is 195ish. My VO2 is finally catching up with my FTP!