Old 10-07-13, 09:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
Maybe this will help a little or confuse you more. Base takes the longest time to build, so we start with that. Muscular strength is probably next slowest, so that's next. Then we get into LT work. Then zone 5 work. Then sprints. It's really not quite that simple, because it's good to mix it up and not just pyramid it. Between now and The Season, I usually do a couple of builds, then start over. Lessens the boredom.

Another thing that's rather new is that it turns out Friel was a pioneer in training the amateur athlete, the average Joe. What he did was to take a pro's training schedule and methods and just reduce the time spent on everything proportionally to what the athlete's time availability or goal was. But it turns out that doesn't produce enough high end to achieve the best fitness. So you'll notice on my rewritten plan of yours, I say go to 5a on the weekend rides, not just stay in zone 2. That's been proven more successful. I'll do .75-1.25 hrs. of zone 4 or sub-threshold work every week, all season long. I'll do some sprinting, too, just a little, on .5 - 1 minute hills. That's very stimulating and won't kill your base training as long as you don't do too much of it, just a couple sprints/week.