View Single Post
Old 05-12-10, 09:44 AM
LCI_Brian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchBoy2
If it were me, I'd be very reluctant to do a ride up GMR pulling a trailer on the weekend. That is when the roads are most crowded with the above mentioned motorcycles and car clubs. There are many turns with limited visibility, which could cause a fast moving vehicle to go right into your precious cargo. A mid week ride would be much safer, but that may not fit into your schedule.
I guess I've never understood that logic. If the risk is at an acceptable level when riding alone, why does it become unacceptable when pulling a passenger in a trailer? (Note that I'm not talking about kids riding their own bikes, which would be a different story, as it would bring their handling skills into the equation.) Or let me phrase it the opposite way: if I considered it too dangerous to pull a kid in a trailer on a given route, then why the heck would I be riding it alone?

On a practical note, I didn't do many rides such as GMR with a trailer due to logistical reasons, one of them being how my time my kid could tolerate in the trailer. Many of our rides were indeed on bike paths, not for safety reasons but for things to see, no road noise, break stops, etc. Most of the road rides we did in the trailer were 15-20 mile loops from the house. I found on such rides that I got better treatment from motorists (such as MORE passing clearance) with the trailer than without.