Old 02-19-21, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasper Storm
For the other 99%, there are pedal systems that are less prone to dirt/debris fouling, easier to walk on, free of easily-stripped screws, don't require precise screw adjustments to be maintained w/Loctite, greasing, etc.
Have you used the new walkable aero cleats? It doesn't sound like you have, and they address a few of these issues. They're very walkable, better than Delta-type cleats, IMO. The stamped steel retention plate looks kind of cheesy, but it doesn't seem as prone to binding the spring clip, so the window of acceptable screw tightness seems a little more forgiving. Also, with the cleat covers on, losing loose screws is a thing of the past, anyway. In short, they solve some of the most fussy elements of Speedplays, even improving a weakness like walkability to the point where it's better than the competition. I think they're absolutely viable as an everyday cleat.

They will still foul, but that's not a problem on roads the vast majority of the time - they can get jammed up pretty badly if you're walking in snow, but otherwise it's really only problem when you're off-road in moist stuff. FWIW, they do offer a new, cross-shaped petal that supposedly mitigates the fouling issues, but I've never tried them (fouling isn't big enough of an issue for me to spring for them).