Old 02-23-21, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Did three rides with the Speedplay Zero Aeros, and then switched back to Shimano. I was ok with having to grease the pedals, but then when the cleats started squeaking and I read that you're supposed to lube the cleats every 1-2 rides, that's just too much maintenance. Plus they were very difficult to clip in and out. People say they "break in" eventually, but I'm 185lb and strong, I should not have any difficulty clipping in/out. I could see their worth on a race only bike, but not for someone who rides as much as I do.
FWIW, I probably grease the pedals twice a year or so. Lubing the cleats every 1-2 rides is asinine - I'll do that maybe 4 times per year and it's just a few drops of some Finish Line dry lube. It's not a biggie.

Break in is real, but so is first-time install woes - most people overtighten their first set, often to the point that clipping in is next to impossible. There's a reason that they have Loctite on the screws - they're meant to be lightly torqued. Set up properly, they're easy in and easy out and only moderately more difficult upon install.
Likes For WhyFi: